Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shoes to cure any boring outfit...

It is always my goal to look like I got dressed on purpose, even if I'm just wearing a tshirt and jeans. Its a fault of mine, I guess. I get it from my parents. They are ALWAYS dressed to the nines, ALWAYS. And growing up I always felt out of place...until I discovered my own style, that is.

Now while I am not always dressed to the nines as my parents were, I developed this preference to look like some thought went into what im wearing...other than it's clean. Somewhere around junior or senior in college and solidified by grad school, I managed to define my image. Most would characterize it as off-beat, odd and random but I like to think of it as classic with a twist. I enjoy traditional pieces, but those done in unconventional ways. If I'm going to wear a pair of oxfords they are going to be blue patent leather, etc. But with anyone, we all have our go-to pieces. Those pieces that are our defaults that we gravitate towards because they are familiar or easy. And along the way I decided that while a black flat shoe was easy, a purple one was unexpected, polished, on purpose.

Since that time, I have always kept a pair of them in my closet. I've had satin, leather, two-toned, patent and for me they go with everything. Everything. Some would disagree, and that's ok, but for me, throw on a pair of purple shoes, like these Steve Madden, Taylas, when you would have worn black and all of a sudden you have a pop of muted color that compliments most palettes. If you think about colors on the color wheel, those you see in stores, most of them are complimentary to purple. Not all of them match, but they definitely compliment. And for me, complimenting is all you need. Never one to be matchy-matchy, I prefer to look like I made a statement and not that I overwashed a particular piece of my wardrobe or got dressed in the dark. Thus, purple. You should try it.

No comments: